They said the requirement for the application, registration and authorisation threatens free speech and the right to association and assembly. (Photo by Alfred Ochwo ) By Alfred Ochwo According to UCC, the regulations were brought in good faith to majorly curb misuse of the internet , especially the publication...
On September 7, 2020, UCC issued a notice reminding all online data communication and broadcast service providers to apply for authorization or risk being blocked by internet service providers by October 5, 2020.
Don’t ignore our petition! Unwanted Witness demands quick court action against UCC’s directive on online publishers
Unwanted Witness has asked the judiciary not to ignore their petition over the recent regulations issued by the Uganda Communication Commission (UCC)’s on all online data communication and broadcasting service providers.
Unwanted Witness has asked the Electoral Commission (EC) to double its efforts in civic education if they are to avoid challenges that may come as a result of poor data surveillance in the forthcoming general elections.
Global Voices Advocacy’s Netizen Report offers an international snapshot of challenges, victories, and emerging trends in Internet rights around the world. A series of recent stories on Internet policy in Uganda paints a grim picture of the online-speech environment in the country. On October 6, Internal Affairs Minister James...
The Unwanted Witness therefore demands that: 1.Government should come out clearly to explain why they are deploying surveillance equipment to spy on citizens. 2. Parliament should consider reviewing and amending cyber laws that seem to be used to violate the constitution but at the same time infringe on citizens’...
- The Inaugural Annual Privacy Scorecard Unveiled
- Unwanted Witness Conducts an Online (Facebook Live) debate to demystify Internet-based Violence against Women in Uganda.
- Civil society organisation protests UCC online regulations
- Activists Want Court to Prevail over UCC as Deadline to Register Online Broadcasters Nears
- Don’t ignore our petition! Unwanted Witness demands quick court action against UCC’s directive on online publishers