WHO WE ARE
The Unwanted Witness is a civil society organization (CSO) that was established to respond to the gap in effective communication using various online expression platforms.
Unwanted Witness was established in 2012 by a group of netizens, bloggers, activists, writers and human rights defenders as an independent, non-partisan and not-for-profit civil society organization. It seeks to create secure uncensored online platforms for activists, netizens, bloggers, freelance journalists and writers to promote human rights through writing and informing, educating the citizenry who also utilize the platform for strengthening free expression and demand for accountability.
Vision: creating platforms that guarantee internet/ online freedom..
Mission: to contribute to good governance through effective and efficient internet/ online activism through networking and strengthening capacities of netizen for collective advocacy and synergy.
1. To build capacities of journalists, writers and activists through trainings’, research and institutional skills acquisition in human rights
2. To contribute to entrenchment of effective, and efficient operational environment for enjoyment of human rights through highlighting the challenges facing human rights;
3. To establish and promote initiatives necessary for effective advocacy in human rights through utilizing various media platforms;
4. To encourage close collaboration and networking among human rights activists through opportunity creation, sharing forums and information exchange on human rights;
STATEMENT OF DISTINCTION
Unwanted Witness stands out, as an internet/ online based human rights organization in Uganda that seeks to put the power of change in the hands of citizens through the internet and online media to guarantee internet freedoms and improve the human rights situation in the country.
The core business for Unwanted Witness is the protection and defense of digital rights and internet/ online freedoms through highlighting the various human rights abuses. This is done owing to its character: Amplifying voices changing lives
OUR CORE VALUES
Core Values are the fundamental values or ideals at the heart of the Unwanted Witness and these values provide the Unwanted Witness the guidelines of operation; the following comprise of the values of Unwanted Witness Uganda:
1. Equity and Equal Opportunity
3. Collective Action
4. Commitment and Teamwork
5. Transparency and Accountability
7. Efficiency and effectiveness
HOW UNWANTED WITNESS WORKS
The internet gave birth to online as a space where we call all communicate. We are for freedom of expression in the online space.
- The Unwanted Witness works and operates mainly through partnerships-providing trainings and facilitating joint internet communication/advocacy interventions.
- Conducts and undertakes specific research and investigations to inform advocacy interventions to address the operating environment on specific intervention themes or issues
- Works at both national and local levels as well as international to promote linkages and awareness about key issues at all levels.