Introduction and general terms
- What information Unwanted Witness may collect about you;
- How Unwanted Witness will use information we collect about you;
- When Unwanted Witness may use your details to contact you;
- Whether Unwanted Witness will disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the personal information you provide to us; and
Unwanted Witness is committed to safeguarding your personal information. Whenever you provide such information, we are legally obliged to use your information in line with theData Protection and Privacy Act 2019.
Who we are
The Unwanted Witness is a civil society organization (CSO) that was established to respond to the gap in effective communication using various online expression platforms.
What information will Unwanted Witness collect about me?
When you contact Unwanted Witness to sign up to any of Unwanted Witness’s activities or online content, such as your telephone number, email or write to us, or engage with us via social media channels, we may receive and retain personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number, bank account details to process.
By submitting your details, you enable Unwanted Witness (and where applicable any sub-contractors we may use) to provide you with the services, information, activities or online content you select.
We do not usually ask members to provide “sensitive personal data” (such as information relating to racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, health information and political opinions). However, if you reveal such information in emails or other communications hosted by our site, you are consenting to this sensitive personal data being collected and processed by us. If you do not wish to consent, please do not include sensitive personal data in your communications to, or through, the site.
If there is a clear reason for collecting sensitive personal data, for example where we need this to ensure that we provide support to enable you to participate in the event. Clear notices will be provided on applications for such events so that it is clear what information we need and why we need it.
If you are simply browsing the site as an anonymous visitor, Unwanted Witness may still collect certain information from you, such as your IP addresses (an IP address is a number that can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet), browser type and operating system and platforms.
Uses made of the information
Unwanted Witness will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- In relation to any correspondence you have entered into with us whether by letter, email, text, social media, or any other means;
- For internal record keeping, to administer the site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, statistical and survey purposes.
- To fulfil sales contracts you have entered into with Unwanted Witness.
- To contact you about any content you provide.
- To invite you to participate in surveys or research about Unwanted Witness or our work (participation is always voluntary)
- To provide you with information about our activities or online content you have agreed to receive.
- To personalise the way Unwanted Witness content is presented to you.
- To use IP addresses to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use, to establish the number of visits from different countries;
- To analyse and improve the activities and content offered by the site and to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience. We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes;
- To notify you about changes to our service; and
- As part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
Disclosure of your personal data
We will only use your information for the purposes for which it was obtained.
Unwanted Witness will not, under any circumstances, share or sell your personal data with any third party for marketing purposes and you will not receive offers from other companies or organisations as a result of giving your details to us.
We may disclose your information to third parties:
- If disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing).
- In order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions or to protect the rights, property or safety of Unwanted Witness.
Where we store your personal data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Right to erasure
You have the right to have your personal data deleted and no longer processed where the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are collected or otherwise processed. Should you wish to exercise this right, you may send a request email@example.com.
Access to information
The Data Protection and Privacy Act 2019 gives you the right to access information held about you. You have the right to request access to the information we have about you. Simply contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. And we will make sure to provide you with a copy of the data we’ve processed about you. To comply with your request, we may ask you to verify your identity. Then we will fulfil your request by sending your copy electronically unless the request expressly specifies a different method.
If you have any questions, comments, or requests regarding this policy or our processing of your information, please contact email@example.com., or write or call us at:
THE UNWANTED WITNESS – Uganda
P. O. Box 71314 Clock Tower K’la Uganda | Plot 26, Ssentema Road |
Telephone: +256 414 697 635 or +256 759953233
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter: @unwantedwitness |
Skype: unwantedwitness | Face book: unwanted witness Uganda